Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dahi Bara and Aloo dum and Ghuguni

You talk to any Cuttacki (Cuttack is the place where I grew up in Orissa) and they will swear by their dahi bara, aloo dum and ghughuni chat! Ofcourse each local region will have its own favorite. Some will swear by Eshwara's dahi bara, aloo dum and ghughuni chat, while other's will only touch Raghu's dahi bara and Aloo dum and others are purists who love their chandi chowk's dahi bara!

Durga Puja times brings nostalgia and somehow food figures high on my list of happy times during puja. While I cannot claim this dahi bara, aloo dum or ghughuni is authetic, it does get me to a happy mood! My cousin E and her hubby were coming over for lunch and we enjoyed this cuttacki feast! The yummy Aloo dum was made my little sister - and it was real yum.

Pree - this post was inspired by your event  Beyond Five Days of Durga Puja.

For the ghughuni recipe, you can look at my mom's here, or just make your own! While I am not sure of the details on how my sister made the Aloo Dum, you can try a simpler version here.

Ingredients
For the Bara
Urad Dal - 1 cup soaked overnight
fist ful of chana dal soaked overnight with the urad dal
2 -3 green chillies
bunch of coriander leaves
1 inch of ginger - cut into thin slices
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

For the Dahi (Yogurt mixture)
Yogurt - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup (adjust consistency based on taste).
2 table spoon Grated Ginger
1-2 Green chillies cut into thin slices
Black Salt to taste
Sat to taste
Fried and ground cumin seeds
Oil for seasoning
Curry leaves
1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
pinch of hing

How To make the Dahi Bara
Soak the urad Dal and chana dal over night.
Grind to a rough paste along with the ginger slices, chillies and coriander leaves.
Mix Salt and leave aside in a warm place for 6-8 hrs. (Tip : If in India don't mix salt and leave aside , it is too warm and the Bara becomes too sour. Add salt only before deep frying)

Just before deep frying, get the dahi mixture ready. It is simple, beat the yogurt with salt and black salt.
Once it is a smooth paste, add water and cumin powder and grated ginger and chillies. Taste at this point and adjust any of the above as per your liking.

Season the dahi mixture. Take a small pot, and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds and hing and curry leaves and pour into the dahi mixture...

Now before you fry the baras, you need to follow one more step. Get a big bowl, fill with warm water and add a pinch of salt and sugar and lemon juice to it.

Once your fry your baras, dung them in this warm water for a few minutes before transferring them to the dahi mixture. This steps keeps the bara's soft and drains out some of the excess oil.



Now the fun starts with dahi baras, eat them as is or make a chat with adding some cuttacki bara maja (mixture  - haldiram's will do, if you can't lay your hands on the original ones), and onions and imli chutney. Look at mine above!

Or eat it as chat with Aloo Dum and Ghughuni. I love my Dahi Bara with Aloo Duma and Ghuguni with chopped onions! How do you like yours ?



61 comments:

  1. OMG..all of my favorite things in one place..can I come to your home for dinner:)!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow all the dishes are making me drool before i go to bed ... yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... the dahi bara with chat is really tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Somoo,

    Dahi Bara, Alu dum aau ghuguni dekhi ki Cuttack ra College Square katha mane padi gala.
    No star restaurant food can beat this combo .... and I can vouch for it.

    Wish you and your family a very happy Dusshera.

    Cheers n Happy Cooking,
    Satrupa

    http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somoo wish you very happy puja. enjoy this fesival with your family.
    am not very fond of dahi vara but the ghugni and alu dum make me drool here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear,

    Just joined in your blog..Vist me too!!;0

    hAPPY navrathri wishes to you!!

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious platter...Yummy.

    Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Somoo
    You just took me to Athgarh days and Ravenshaw days.
    You know in my time , only Dahi Badas were sold, no alu-udum, Ghugni Combo.
    Few days back , my brother was travelling from Bhubaneswar to Athagarh vis Naraz...and had this combo Dahi Vada om Naraj Barrage, 1st time. Even he was surprised to see the old version of dahi bada alone was no longer available even in Athgarh..all are in combo form, even with dhania , tentuli chatni.( north Indian style)

    I will make Dahi Vada in a day or 2. The curd has been kept out to make it extra sour. Of course I shall make the street version..i,e ..50 % Atta and 50 % biri dali paste..at the req of my brother ..
    But I must eat the combo version ASAP..never had so far.
    Bhala thiba

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!!! All of a sudden, I am missing Kolkata's street food... Aloo dum, gugni and dahi bada... nothing can get better than this...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too missing these foods, looks so so droolie delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. everything looks so good,..missing india,..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woww wat a beautiful dishes, aloo dum and dahi bara, am drooling rite now here, very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH.. wow.. aren't you have a swell time! All of it looks mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, this is a spread to die for. But I wont, I want to live and enjoy that superciliousness. Thanks for your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi somoo, this dish is very new to me and looks very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Pree - the post was for you! Glad you liked it...
    @Priya - thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love dahi bara very much. Feel like having it now. All the dishes looks delicious, yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Somoo.. i loved the last pic.. looks delicious.. 2day im very lazy to cook..coming to your place for dinner... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Babli - my favorite too
    @Sushma - thanks
    @Lena - sure join us... It will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG ! Can you please courier some of that :) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ahaa ki sundar drushyo...dahi bora ,aludum ghuguni moro bhi favorite ...i really miss it ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow..such an array of great dishes..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for introducing new dishes.First time here in your blog. you have nice space.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Sarah - thanks
    @Rinky - you had asked for it in an earlier comment. Thought I would post!
    @Satya - I miss the vendor food too!
    @Gulmohar - thanks
    @Swathi - glad something new for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what have you done?!! I'm dying in sheer agony looking at my fovouritest street food. I think the stadium dahibara aludum was the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. The stadium dahi vada was either Eshwara or Raghu's. Which one did you like ?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love love the look of those Somoo..:)Absolutely delicious looking

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh this is super yummyyy post, love it :))

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely platter! Looks so yummy..

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. sounds similar to dahi vada of south india...i love it..

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Palatable - thanks
    @Roshan - thanks
    @Cooking Blog Index - yes I agree. thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello from Italy! I found this blog and I really like your kitchen!
    Skip to us, we like to exchange cultures and recipes!

    I hope you like what we do!

    Many greetings from Italy!

    www.whitedarkmilkchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Orsetta - thanks. Would love to drop by...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I had lots of dahi bara, aloo dum and ghuguni when i went home for Dusshera!!! It definitely drool worthy....But never took the pain to prepare this one at home...After seeing your post, i cant wait for the weekend to try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @AuthenticOriyaFood - you went home ? Wow - lucky you! Hope you had a great time....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Reminds me of dahi vada. But the ingredients are absolutely a new combo for me and very tempting. Never tasted them before. Nice feast!

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Viki - thanks... Yes it is a feast and we love it...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow what a blog .I am glad I found it.Although I am a Bengali, I have a connection with Orissa. My mum was born and brought up there and some of my relatives still live there.Oriya food and particularly the sweets are real yummy.Will enjoy visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Shilpi - glad you like it... Give any feedback you want, would love it...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Even now whenever I go to Bhubaneswar these ae the 2 things I first have - Dahi Bara Aloo Dum Ghugni (with the whole works!) and Chicken Roll :) These are the 2 kinds of street food that are unique and cannot be found anywhere else in India! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. @Swapna - I know it is an all time favorite for all of us from Orissa... Glad you enjoyed the post....

    ReplyDelete
  42. yaarr.....ish ko dekhtee he muh main pani aajaa ta hai....ek arsa ho gaya hai mene ctc ka aloo dum dahebara nahin khaya hai....i missed it....yaar...n jab v main bbsr jatee hun ya ctc mera din ka breakfast dahibra aloo dum se hota hai....i hope ye reciepe kaamkar jaye...jab se vizag ayee hun seriousli i missed it...

    ReplyDelete
  43. yummmm...made us nostalgic of Cuttack, the unofficial street food hub of all goodies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi all,

    Kindly any one help me to find dahi bada aloo dum anywhere in Kolkata!!!!!

    ReplyDelete