Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fleeting summer fruits - Watermelon


I love summer - especially here in US where it is a mere 2 months with bursts of rain in between. It also reminds me of the summer vacations in India. Growing up I loved the long summer vacations lazing around at my grandma's house. She had huge mangoes, custard apple, lichi and guava trees and we cousins would have a feast on different fruits everyday. Oh I wish for those days... Mango was a high-light of the season. Well mangoes are gone here... But we still do get watermelon. Between cousins, a huge water melon would vanish in seconds...

Now a days when I get watermelon, sometimes it goes bad and gets thrown out. I love eating it, but there is barely any time to enjoy this simple delight. Also I feel its fun to have it with friends/family, with the juice rolling down ones hand.... My kids are not big watermelon fans, but I religiously bring it and try it on them every year... I am sure they will develop some taste for it sometime.

This watermelon juice was a favorite in summer for the adults. While we chomped on the full melon, the elders sipped elegantly on this simple juice.

Both these simple juice and sorbet are going to " Soup N Juice "event hosted by Sreesha of Mom's Recipes.

How To

There is not much to the recipe, cut some water melon flesh, add some sugar or honey and a little salt and lemon juice and there you have it. Serve cold with crushed ice...

Watermelon Sorbet


This sorbet is nothing but frozen watermelon balls. This reminds me of those hot summer days when we used to quietly eat ice cubes while our moms were napping or busy chatting...


How To

Take some water melon pulp, sugar and freeze for an hour. Break it up with your fork and refreeze for an hour again. Scoop out with your ice cream scooper and serve in a tall glass or in a plate (as I did...) It tastes yum either way! Slurp it down before it melts and drink it if it does....

51 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation, I love that cute cups! Drink looks tempting

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sorbet looks good. The only thing that the watermelon troubles me with is the seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer in India is outstanding, we get so many fruits and every day can be a different feast, me too really miss those days, summer vacation in grandma's house...sorbet looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this juice very much...its colourful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of watermelon, but I think I would really like this sorbet. It looks light and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....delectable recipes......love that refreshing juice and cool looking sorbet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Somoo,
    Love this bright summer fruit :0 anything made out of this is so refreshing, ya u said it right the mazaa of chomping on the melon slices is uncomparable to anything :) so nice to read ur cheerful lines :)
    The sorbet looks great and perfect for the rise in temperatures dear :) nice glasses there :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both sorbet and drink looks tempting and gorgeous..very refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both drink and sorbet looks awesome and yummy. Liked the cups.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slurp slurp cooling beverage for the hot summer can't wait to taste them now..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann - thanks.
    Sharmila - we dont get seeds in wtaermelons here - atleast not the black hard ones...
    Indrani - I am so nostalgic about the summer holidays at grandma;s place
    Rekha - yep me too
    Palidor - you are like my kids. They dont like it either
    Lubna - yep very refreshing in summer
    Suparna - glad you like it
    Priya - thanks.
    Valarmathi - thanks.
    Chitra - vibrant color
    Sara - its so cooling...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A2Z - I love the colors and freshness of watermelon too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohh we like watermelons like anything, luckily my daughter is a melon-fan too..good luck with ur kids...
    both sorbet and juice looks tempting..nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool idea and I love the blueberry topping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your watermelon preparation. Also like those cups a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tempting drink, the color is so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kids are like that suddenly they will love certain fruits... Very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pictures...I love the cups...they look so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shubha - welcome back...
    Anupama - thanks.
    Mythreyi - glad you like it
    Cham - I hope your words come true.
    Gita - my grandma gave them... Cute na ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shorbet and drink looks yummy and colorful and also love those cute glasses....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks tempting and refreshing...Slurp Slurp Slurp....

    ReplyDelete
  22. The drink looks so inviting in those beautiful cups.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so refreshing!Love the cutie cups that you served the juice in:D

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is very refreshing feast for eyes and coolinng effect for the soul...

    ReplyDelete
  25. sorbet looks yumm..and lovely colour...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love watermelon juice..
    And mostly have it without adding anything to it....
    Yours snaps looks tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sowmya , Parita - thanks...
    Neha - I know what you mean... This is my attempt to get my kids to try watermelon - not successful yet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I appreciate for your beautiful presentation. I love watermelon and shall try out your lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Somoo...this looks gorgeous....love the glasses SO MUCH...and love the drink EVEN MORE. What an excellent way to consume all those antioxidents... You should write a book on 'Kid Friendly Food' :) You're just soooo good at it !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Babli - thanks... Its so easy, take minutes to serve...
    MommyTheCook - thanks for your lovely comments. You are very encouraging...
    Varunavi - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Xcllnt presentation!! What a refreshing entries for a hot summer day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Somoo, there's an award for you on my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loved that glass somoo..:)..yummyy..n I luv melons irresepective of season..just sprinkle sugar n gulp gulp.:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Deesha - I love watermelons too.
    MommyTheCook - thanks so much...
    Varsha - I love them too...

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh what a lovely presentation, wish i could be there to taste that.

    ReplyDelete
  36. jeyashri - I am so glad you liked it. It was yum...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your blogging style on food and recipe is very different. I like the preamble / back ground / introduction part of the recipe. This is not the water melon season , but cant stop reading the back ground with such a personal touch!!!
    Please keep it up
    Tomorrow is the Arisha day, and I have been warned if I fail this time again, it would be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am glad you like it... Sometimes these words weave together and sometimes they dont...
    All the Best with the Arisha Pitha...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love watermelon, I add a little ginger to the juice..

    ReplyDelete
  40. @Hema - yes ginger makes it even better... you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello,
    The Article on Fleeting summer fruits - Watermelon is very informative .It give detail information along with picture. Thanks for Sharing the informative Article about it. fruitsgogo app

    ReplyDelete