Saturday, January 24, 2009

Samosa by my kids and for my kids

We went to the Queen's Ganesh temple on Monday, the day off to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The darshan was awesome since it was working day for most people, I guess. Whenever I tell my two year old son about going to temple , he asks "to eat Dosa?". So obviously after the temple trip we headed to the temple canteen. The dosa in their is awesome. My foodie son knows it well. Usually we get a huge assortment of samosas, Vadas, idlies and dosas. But for some reason they were out of Samosas and Vadas. My daughter was upset. And decided that we have to go home and make samosas...


We got home and started the samosa process right away. Then I found out that I had no Maida at home. Well it had snowing already (again), so no way I was going to step out to the Indian store. So I improvised and made it with wheat flour (atta). Trust me it tasted awesome.


Here is the recipe for making it. But I have the instructions for the real version and not the one using the wheat flour. If you want to use wheat flour, just replace Maida with Atta and that's it. Also here I have not added any chillies since I was making these for the kids. But go ahead and add some green chillies if you like it spicy. I made the filling and the frying, but my daughter helped with the actual samosa making. Oh yeah my son helped too - in playing with the dough and also the eating...


Ingredients

For the filling

Boiled potatoes (4 small ones)
Salt to taste
Amchoor powder (pinch)
Jeera powder (1/4 tea spoon)
Ajwain powder (pinch)
1 small Onion cut into small pieces
Oil (1 table spoon)


For the outer layer

Maida (1/2 cup)
Oil (2-3 tea spoon)
Oil for Frying ( 1 cup)


How to

To make the dough for the outer covering or layer, mix the Maida and oil in a medium bowl. Once the maida is evenly coated with oil, add some water to mix the dough. Knead the dough for a few minutes to make a firm dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes.


To make the filling, in a large saute pan or skillet, heat 1 table spoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until the onion turns golden brown. Add the salt and then the potatoes and fry for a few more minutes. Then add the jeera powder and ajwain powder. Remove from the heat and add the amchur powder. Stir to combine, then adjust the seasoning, to taste. Let it cool until it is easy enough to handle.


On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough and make into smooth balls. Place each ball on the floured surface and roll into a thin circle, about 3-inches in diameter. Cut each circle in half to get 2 semi-circles. Spoon about 1/2 tea spoon of filling in the center of each semi-circle. Brush the edges with water and fold the dough over the filling. Press the edges together to seal. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining ingredients.


Heat 1 cup of oil in a small bowl. Add about 3-4 somosas and fry in low heat until the samosas turn golden brown. Serve hot with tomato sauce or coriander chutney.




No comments:

Post a Comment